Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Learning the Banjo

I'm trying to learn the banjo, and decided to record a little with my computer mic. Okay, so I have a loooong way to go. But I figure I'll be pretty good by the time I'm 80. Why not?

http://www.jarodkearney.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/audio_19.mp3

By the way, the banjo has it's roots in Africa. The slaves used to fashion banjos out of gourds and the instrument caught on, eventually evolving into it's modern form.

For the record, I think banjo is harder than the other instruments I learned. The timing is really hard to get down, and so far I don't quite have it. But, Rome wasn't built....oh never mind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's very interesting about the banjo having its roots in Africa. I guess it makes sense, but it never occured to me.

BlondebutBright said...

You're good! What a nice hobby. I used to play several musical instruments but it's been so many years I don't think I'd even know where to put my fingers.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmmmmm.......I have no concept of music, cant sing to save my life, dont know how to play a tune. Needless to say, I am proud of you